Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Lady In Spokane

I stopped for gas in Spokane a couple of months ago. I don't like buying gas there. They make you pump it yourself! And you have to pay more for the privilege. What an insult. But, it's what you have to do, so I pulled in to the Fred Meyer station, and attempted to figure out how to put my card in, and do the other things it took to make the pump work. But I couldn't get it to work.

I approached the window where a woman was sitting, taking cash and selling stuff inside there. I smiled, letting her know I was a yokel from Oregon, and asked for help. She barely spoke to me, refused to do more than glance up, and stiffly told me what to do.

Well! What's wrong with HER? I wondered. A little courtesy would have been nice. But I'm not the type to raise a ruckus. So I filled my tank, then went back to her little glass cage, and paid. Before I walked away, I said, "It would be nice if you'd smile." I hoped she wouldn't get angry; rude people usually don't like to have it pointed out.

She gave her head a slow shake and said,"I'm sorry, but the person who came in just before you was nasty, rude, swore a blue streak, and called me every name under the sun, because I didn't have what he wanted." She attempted a weak smile for me.

Oops! I'd totally misread the situation. I thought she was unfriendly and rude. I felt sorry for bringing the situation up, maybe even making it worse by my remark. "Oh no!" I said. "That's awful. I hope that doesn't happen often. Most of your customers are probably nice people."

She agreed, and I saw her mellow out a bit. I smiled and thanked her for helping me, and left, thinking I totally misread the situation. How often do we think someone is unfriendly, when they've actually just been hurt and are trying to keep a stiff upper lip and not cry? Of course, there are mean people out there, too. But this lady wasn't one of them. I hope I learned something from that encounter. People working with the public don't have an easy job, and I will compliment them every time I get a chance. It just might make a difference for a few minutes.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to get a chance where you get to SEE yourself as Salt and Light. Don't get embarrassed or proud... just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true! We NEVER know what battles someone else is fighting....and we so often assume. I had to laugh tho, at "not one to raise a ruckus" -- or throw caramels at the gas station attendant! unlike Hunnytree --- www.hunnytree.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete