Monday, November 16, 2009

HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT

Last week I was at the mall, walking through the busy corridor, looking in shop windows. I passed a children's clothing store, idly glancing with disinterest, when something caught my eye. Nothing moved, but there was something.

Colorful boy's and girls' outfits were displayed on headless child-size mannequins, approximately five in a row, facing the window. But one display of a boy's pants and shirt had a head on it. I slowed to take a closer look. A cute little seven- or eight-year old face was looking back at me, with a make-believe robot look.

The instant he saw that I noticed him, his eyes widened, he giggled, turned and ran back into the store. I laughed out loud, causing a shopper coming my way to veer around me with raised eyebrows.

I've thought of that experience a few times since, always with a grin. Then I figured there must be a message in so vivid an incident.

After pondering, I wondered: how often do we see people as faceless stick figures, without noticing their essence? Do I look into a stranger's eyes and glimpse a unique soul? I hope so. From now on I surely will. Vibrant life and intelligence is all around us, hiding in plain sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment